Education and research
Fiona Stanley Hospital will be in the heart of a new health, research and education precinct at Murdoch, which will include St John of God Hospital Murdoch (external site), Murdoch University (external site), Challenger Institute of Technology (external site) and the Western Australian Institute for Medical Research (WAIMR) (external site).
The potential partnerships between all of these organisations will provide major benefits to patients and staff.
The new Western Australian Institute for Medical Research (WAIMR) (external site) is being built alongside Fiona Stanley Hospital. The facility will house researchers who will investigate the genetic and environmental causes of a range of diseases.
Locating the new WAIMR facility next to the hospital aims to speed up the time it takes for patients to benefit from medical breakthroughs and creating close working relationships between laboratory researchers and front line staff.
FSH education facility
Fiona Stanley Hospital includes a dedicated education facility which will offer a broad range of training programs to students and staff across all health disciplines.
The four-floor building will be located next to the main hospital and linked via a walkway. It will include:
- a major, tiered lecture theatre
- two small, tiered lecture theatres
- seminar and meeting rooms with audiovisual and teleconferencing capability
- a clinical skills training centre including a demonstration ward, a medical emergency training / simulation centre and six clinical skills training rooms
- a management of aggression training room
- a clinical resource and information centre
- a computer learning centre
- undergraduate and postgraduate medical, nursing and health therapies education.
Staff at Fiona Stanley Hospital will be able to access state-of-the-art telehealth facilities which can be used for teaching and research as well as providing information and advice to patients who are not at the hospital, including those in rural and remote areas.
- Western Australian Institute for Medical Research (WAIMR) (external site)
- Telethon Institute for Child Health Research (external site)
- McComb Research Foundation (external site)
- Challenger Institute of Technology (external site)
- Murdoch University (external site)
File FormatsSome documents for download on this website are in a Portable Document Format (PDF). To read these files you might need to download Adobe® Acrobat Reader.